BERBERE SPICE MIX (ETHIOPIAN)
Here is another version of the distinctive Ethiopian spice mix that flavors many of their dishes. Use it to season grilled fish, poultry or meat during cooking, or sprinkle it on meat or vegetable dishes at the table. I found this recipe in Homemakers magazine.
Provided by Dreamer in Ontario
Yield 1/3 cup
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine and whisk together all ingredients.
- Store in airtight container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 340.7, Fat 16.1, SaturatedFat 3, Sodium 22024.7, Carbohydrate 62, Fiber 39.8, Sugar 8.8, Protein 15.9
BERBERE (ETHIOPIAN SPICE BLEND)
- In a heavy skillet over high heat, toast the whole spices (seeds) and chilies, shaking the pan regularly to prevent scorching, until very fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely.
- Grind the cooled spices in a spice or coffee grinder. Add all remaining ground spices and salt and grind everything together.
- Store in an airtight container in a dark place.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 teaspoon, Calories 11 kcal, Carbohydrate 2 g, Protein 1 g, Fat 1 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 127 mg, Fiber 1 g, Sugar 1 g
BERBERE (ETHIOPIAN SPICE)
For those of you who have difficulty locating berbere in your local grocery store, this recipe is a good substitute that is easy to make. Note that it is quite spicy, so use to taste. This spice combination is used in many Ethiopian dishes including doro wat, an Ethiopian chicken dish.
Provided by Twin Cities
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Mix chili powder, paprika, salt, fenugreek, ginger, onion powder, coriander, cardamom, garlic powder, cloves, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 25.2 calories, Carbohydrate 4.6 g, Fat 1.2 g, Fiber 2.8 g, Protein 1.1 g, SaturatedFat 0.2 g, Sodium 345.2 mg, Sugar 0.7 g
ETHIOPIAN SPICE MIX (BERBERE)
- Finely grind fenugreek seeds in an electric coffee/spice grinder. Stir together with remaining ingredients until combined well.
This is from the Congo Cookbook and states: Berbere is an Ethiopian spice mixture that is the flavoring foundation of Ethiopian cuisine, a basic ingredient in Dabo Kolo, Doro Wat, and many other dishes. A milder berbere can be made by substituting paprika for some or most of the red pepper. Berbere is sometimes made as a dry spice mix, and is sometimes made with oil or water to form a paste. Starting with whole spices, the various nuts and seeds and dried red chile peppers, then pan-roasting, grinding, and mixing them will produce the most authentic berbere. However, perfectly satisfactory results can be obtained using already ground or powdered spices. Red wine seems to be a non-Ethiopian addition, but it works well. Yield and prep time is estimated.
Provided by Chabear01
Yield 1/2 cup
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, toast the dried spices for a few minutes - stirring or shaking the skillet continuously to avoid scorching.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- If making dry berbere powder: grind the mixture in a spice grinder or blender, or use a mortar and pestle.
- Store the berbere powder in a tightly-sealed container.
- If making a berbere paste: combine the toasted spices with the fresh ginger, onions or shallots, garlic, and oil (water, or wine).
- Grind together in a blender or with a mortar and pestle.
- Store the berbere paste in a tightly-sealed container.
BERBERE (ETHIOPIAN HOT PEPPER SEASONING)
- In a heavy saucepan, toast the following ground spices together over a low heat for 4 to 5 minutes: ginger, cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice.
- Shake or stir to prevent burning.
- Add the salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and fresh ground black pepper and continue toasting and stirring for 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Cool and store in tightly covered glass jar.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 353.8, Fat 17.7, SaturatedFat 3.4, Sodium 9339.2, Carbohydrate 65, Fiber 34.8, Sugar 11.4, Protein 14.7
BERBERE SPICE MIX
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 380.6, Fat 18.1, SaturatedFat 3.3, Sodium 1446.5, Carbohydrate 69.3, Fiber 45.7, Sugar 10.3, Protein 18
ETHIOPIAN LENTILS WITH BEREBERE SPICE MIX
- Bring lentils and broth to boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add chiles, onion, garlic, and Berebere spices. Cook covered for another 30 minutes, until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with ground black pepper to taste.
- For a vegetarian meal, these lentils are good with a dollop of yogurt, brown rice and sliced tomatoes.
- BEREBERE SPICE MIX:.
- Toast all the seeds and whole cloves in a small frying pan for 2 minutes, stirring constantly (open window or turn on the stove vent--it can smoke). Grind the spices in a spice grinder. If you are using pre-ground spices, ignore and go on to the next step.
- Mix all remaining ingredients. Place in a tightly covered container and refrigerate. This mixture can used with many combinations of legumes, rice or vegetables.
- NOTE: *OR: 1 bell pepper chopped + 14-oz can chopped green chiles.
- NOTE TWO : There are two ways to make this berebere spice mix - with whole spices that you grind, or with powdered versions of the spices. The first way gives you a more powerful flavor, but it may be more practical the second way, particularly if you don't have a spice grinder.
- Yield: 6 to 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 168.4, Fat 2.4, SaturatedFat 0.4, Sodium 1208.2, Carbohydrate 32.5, Fiber 12.3, Sugar 5.7, Protein 9.7
More about "ethiopian spice mix berbere food"
WHAT IS BERBERE SPICE? - THE SPRUCE EATS
Occupation Food Writer And Cookbook AuthorEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
BERBERE RECIPE - A RECIPE FOR ETHIOPIAN BERBERE SPICE MIX
BERBERE (ETHIOPIAN SPICE MIX) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
THE HIRSHON ETHIOPIAN BERBERE SPICE MIX - በርበሬ - THE FOOD ...
BERBERE SPICE MIX (ETHIOPIAN BLEND) - SILK ROAD RECIPES
BERBERE SPICE MIX | ETHIOPIAN & ERITREAN BLEND - SOMEBODY ...
ETHIOPIAN SPICE MIX (BERBERE) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
ETHIOPIAN SPICES – ETHIOPIANSPICES.COM
ETHIOPIAN BERBERE RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
HOW TO USE BERBERE TO ADD ETHIOPIAN FLAVOR TO DISHES | …
BERBERE ETHIOPIAN RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
DIY BERBERE SPICE MIX (ETHIOPIA) - MARISSA MAKES FOOD
BERBERE ETHIOPIAN SPICE RECIPES
ETHIOPIAN BERBERE | A DELICIOUS ETHIOPIAN SPICE MIX ...
ETHIOPIAN SPICE MIX (BERBERE) : RECIPES : COOKING CHANNEL ...
BERBERE SUBSTITUTES - THE 6 BEST OPTIONS - SPICE TUTOR
WHERE DOES THE BERBERE SPICE MIX GOT ITS NAME FROM ...
INSTANT POT MISIR WOT - ETHIOPIAN SPICY LENTIL STEW ...
BERBERE: ETHIOPIAN SPICE MIX - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
ETHIOPIAN BERBERE SPICE BLEND RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
6 EASY ETHIOPIAN RECIPES TO MAKE WITH ONE SIMPLE SPICE ...
BERBERE SPICE MIX (ETHIOPIAN) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
ETHIOPIAN SPICED STEAK RECIPE - ANDREW ZIMMERN | FOOD & WINE
ETHIOPIAN SPICE MIX BERBERE - KOKO'S CORNER
ETHIOPIAN FOOD AND COFFEE - KONJO MAMA
ETHIOPIAN SPICE MIX (BERBERE) - SAVEUR
HOW TO MAKE BERBERE, ETHIOPIAN SPICE MIX - LINSFOOD
ETHIOPIAN BERBERE SPICE MIX - ANOTHER MUSIC IN A DIFFERENT ...
ETHIOPIAN BERBERE SPICE BLEND - GLOBAL KITCHEN TRAVELS
ETHIOPIAN BERBERE - THE SILK ROAD SPICE MERCHANT
BERBERE RECIPE ETHIOPIAN SPICE BLEND EASY AND AUTHENTIC RECIPE
WHAT SPICES ARE IN ETHIOPIAN FOOD? - QUESTIONANSWER.IO
BERBERE SPICE, ETHIOPIAN SEASONING BLEND - SAVORY SPICE
ETHIOPIAN BERBERE SPICE RECIPE - FEASTING AT HOME
YOTAM OTTOLENGHI’S ERITREAN AND ETHIOPIAN RECIPES | FOOD ...
ETHIOPIAN SAUCES RECIPES
CREAMY ETHIOPIAN BERBERE CHICKEN CURRY | GET INSPIRED ...
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE MOST POPULAR ETHIOPIAN SPICES ...
BERBERE SPICE MIX - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES ...
BERBERE LENTILS | ETHIOPIAN STAPLE - SOMEBODY FEED SEB
You'll also love