TURKEY AND HOMINY CHILI WITH SMOKY CHIPOTLE
Making an authentic pozole - the fragrant Mexican hominy stew - has been on my list of things to do for years, but it can be very labor intensive. One recipe by Diana Kennedy, the author of Mexican cookbooks, calls for trimming hominy and boiling a pig's head. Just reading about it causes my enthusiasm to wane. This stew is a compromise; a sort of a pozole-chili hybrid, loaded with ground turkey, bell peppers, hominy and pinto beans. Chile powder adds heat, jalapeño brightness and canned chipotle chile in adobo smokiness and depth. A bottle of beer provides a pleasant bitterness that complements the spice. This recipe makes a very large batch perfect for entertaining or for stocking the freezer, but you can easily half it to feed a family of four.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories dinner, one pot, main course
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 21
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Brown half the ground turkey with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring occasionally until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in half the garlic and half the chili powder and sauté for another 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer turkey to a bowl. Brown remaining turkey in same manner, transferring it to bowl with rest of turkey.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pot and sauté onions, bell peppers and jalapeño peppers with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Return ground turkey and any liquid in bowl to pot and add tomato purée, hominy, beans, beer, chipotles, oregano and bay leaves with 3 cups water. Simmer chili, partly covered, until it is thick enough for your taste, about 1 hour. Serve hot, garnished with sour cream, scallions, cilantro and lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 444, UnsaturatedFat 11 grams, Carbohydrate 43 grams, Fat 16 grams, Fiber 10 grams, Protein 32 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 1116 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 0 grams
CHILI CHICKEN WITH HOMINY HASH
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 425 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil. Mix 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt, the cinnamon and lime zest in a bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken, then transfer to one of the baking sheets; set aside until ready to roast.
- Toss the hominy, squash, bell pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each chili powder and cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Spread on the other baking sheet.
- Transfer the chicken to the upper oven rack and the hominy to the lower rack. Roast, stirring the hominy occasionally, until the hominy is lightly browned and the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the hominy to a bowl and add the lime juice, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the scallions and cilantro. Season with salt and toss. Serve with the chicken and lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 507 calorie, Fat 30 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Cholesterol 115 milligrams, Sodium 572 milligrams, Carbohydrate 28 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 34 grams
TURKEY CHILI WITH HOMINY
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir in the rice and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add all but 1/4 cup of the chopped onion, the jalapenos and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey, chili powder and cumin. Cook, breaking up the meat, until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes; season with salt. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start breaking down, about 5 minutes. Add the hominy and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the jalapeno brine and half of the cilantro into the chili; season with salt and pepper. Fluff the rice with a fork. Serve the chili over the rice; top with the reserved chopped onion and cilantro and more pickled jalapenos.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 471 calorie, Fat 3 grams, SaturatedFat 15 grams, Cholesterol 65 milligrams, Sodium 501 milligrams, Carbohydrate 56 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 28 grams
CHILIED CHICKEN AND HOMINY SOUP
Hominy and chicken combine in this chili flavored broth-based soup. Spicy, so hold on to your hat! More chicken can be added if desired. WW points = 4/serving
Provided by Brooke the Cook in
Categories Clear Soup
Yield 3 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Brown chicken over medium-high heat in saucepan.
- Remove chicken from saucepan, keep warm.
- Reheat saucepan to medium heat and saute onion and garlic until onion in translucent.
- Add cooked chicken, chicken broth, oregano, and chili powder and combine. Reduce heat to low cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add hominy cook 15 more minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 211.2, Fat 3.1, SaturatedFat 0.5, Cholesterol 43.9, Sodium 1183.9, Carbohydrate 24.2, Fiber 5, Sugar 4, Protein 21.3
TURKEY AND PORK CHILI
I'm on a constant quest to provide lean but still delicious food for my family. This is my most recent take on chili. Top with your favorite garnishes, or enjoy as is!
Provided by NENADD
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and cook 1 chopped sweet onion over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chili starter, oregano, and chicken broth; increase heat to medium-high and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Coat a large stock pot with cooking spay and cook remaining 1/2 chopped sweet onion, green bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper over medium heat until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Add ground cumin, cocoa powder, chili powder, garlic salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper; cook 2 minutes. Mix in ground turkey and pork; cook and stir until meat is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, about 10 more minutes. Drain and discard any excess grease.
- Stir diced tomatoes with green chiles, fire-roasted tomatoes, and diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions into chili; simmer for about 3 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 272.4 calories, Carbohydrate 18.1 g, Cholesterol 72.3 mg, Fat 11.9 g, Fiber 5.1 g, Protein 23.3 g, SaturatedFat 3.7 g, Sodium 1409.4 mg, Sugar 4.4 g
PORK AND HOMINY STEW WITH RED CHILES
- Peel garlic and reserve 2 whole cloves, then slice remaining cloves. Combine sliced garlic, pork, water, and broth in a 7- to 8-quart heavy pot and bring to a boil, skimming froth. Add oregano, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, skimming occasionally, until pork is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, discard stems from chiles (do not seed), then soak in boiling-hot water (1 1/2 cups) in a bowl, turning occasionally, until softened, about 30 minutes (do not drain). Purée chiles with soaking water, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and reserved garlic cloves in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Transfer pork with tongs to a large bowl, reserving broth in pot. Shred pork, using 2 forks (discard bones). Return pork to broth, then add hominy, chile purée, and remaining teaspoon salt and simmer, uncovered, skimming froth and stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Season with salt. 3Serve pozole in shallow bowls with accompaniments.
- *Available at Latino markets and kitchenmarket.com.
CHICKEN AND HOMINY CHILI
- Brown chicken over medium heat in sauce pan.
- Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Reheat sauce pan over medium heat.
- Saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Add chicken, broth, oregano, chili powder and combine.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook.
- *You can lessen broth and add more chicken and hominy for a thicker soup.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 272.6, Fat 6.1, SaturatedFat 1.4, Cholesterol 72.6, Sodium 1338.4, Carbohydrate 20, Fiber 4, Sugar 3.8, Protein 32.5
GROUND TURKEY AND HOMINY
Hominy is a real favorite of mine, so when I saw this fast-to-fix ground turkey recipe, I had to try it. With its flavorful combination of spices, it makes a warming meal on a cool night. -Esther Hoff-Sherrow, Denver, Colorado
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings; heat through. Add hominy and heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 287 calories, Fat 16g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 58mg cholesterol, Sodium 989mg sodium, Carbohydrate 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 5g fiber), Protein 16g protein.
PORK AND HOMINY STEW
This soup is a tradition in my family. We usually eat this wonderful spicy stew every Sunday afternoon after church. Warning, this soup can be really spicy, use caution when adding chile. Enjoy!
Provided by BRANDI T
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add diced pork, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, until evenly browned.
- Transfer pork to a large pot. Stir in hominy and 3 cups water. Cook over medium heat for 1 hour.
- While pork and hominy are cooking, place chiles in a small saucepan with 2 cups water. Boil for 45 minutes, covered. Drain, and remove stems. Place chiles in a blender with 1/4 cup water, onion, and garlic. Blend until smooth (you may still see seeds). Set aside.
- Serve pork and hominy soup in bowls, garnished with lime juice, cilantro, cabbage. For spicy soup, stir one teaspoon of chile into each bowl of soup.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 395.9 calories, Carbohydrate 39.4 g, Cholesterol 72.8 mg, Fat 13.5 g, Fiber 6.6 g, Protein 29.2 g, SaturatedFat 3.7 g, Sodium 382.2 mg, Sugar 4.1 g
SPICY CHICKEN AND HOMINY RAGOûT
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and sauté until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, hominy and chili powder and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon, about 8 minutes. Mix in cilantro. Season ragout to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
PORK & HOMINY IN RED CHILES SOUP/STEW
This untried dish is reminiscent of the more common chili verde except that the stock is made from dried rather than fresh chiles. As a big fan of the smoky ancho, it appeals to me and will soon make an appearance on my dinner table. In the meantime, I'm posting here for my fellow foodies.
Provided by justcallmetoni
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a medium-large saucepan, add the water, salt and cubd pork. Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook pork about 20 minuts, until it is just tender. Remove pork from water using a slotted spoon. Cover pork with a damp cloth over a bowl to keep moist.
- In the same water used to cook the pork, add the ancho chiles. Remove from hat and allow the peppers to soak for 20 minutes. Transfer the softened chiles and liquid to a food processor or blender. Add garlic and oregano and process until smooth.
- In the same saucepan used earlier, add the oil and saute the chopped onions, stirring often until the onions are soft and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the hominy, and the pureed peppers. Add chicken broth as needed to get the soup to reach the desired consistency or just a bit thinner than desired.
- Stir in the reserved pork, and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the pork cubes are tender, about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Laddle soup into bowls and allow diners to add condiments as desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 424.6, Fat 17.6, SaturatedFat 5, Cholesterol 91.9, Sodium 970.6, Carbohydrate 26.2, Fiber 6.5, Sugar 3.7, Protein 39.9
BLACK BEAN HOMINY CHILI
Canned white or yellow hominy adds wonderful corn flavor and color. This is even better is it's allowed to sit for a day and get rewarmed. *Serve this chili as "Chili Burritos" by wrapping in tortillas with green onions, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, cilantro, sour cream and salsa for a great 2nd meal!
Provided by TishT
Categories Black Beans
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Pick over the beans for any debris. Rinse the beans and set aside.
- In a 4 qt or larger heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and saute the garlic and onion until they are softened but not brown, 5 - 10 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, pepper flakes, sugar, thyme, cumin, oregano, and coriander. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes (including the juice or puree), vegetable broth, water and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender. Add the hominy and pepper.
- Taste for salt and add if necessary. Thicken, if desired by adding 1 Tbs cornmeal at a time and simmering for 5 minutes after each addition.
- Can keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
CHICKEN CHILI WITH HOMINY
- In a large pot (5 quarts), warm oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, and chile; cook, stirring often, until onion softens, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cut browned chicken into 1/2-inch strips. Add chicken, broth, and beans to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to an active simmer, and cook until chicken is very tender and chili has thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup hominy to use as garnish; stir remaining hominy into chili. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls; garnish each serving with reserved hominy and cilantro, and drizzle with jalapeno sauce, as desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 399 g, Fat 9 g, Fiber 9 g, Protein 34 g
More about "pork and hominy chili or chicken or turkey food"
PORK AND HOMINY CHILI RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (19)Calories 238 per serving
PORK AND HOMINY CHILI - RECIPES AND INGREDIENTS | A DAY IN THE BITE
MEXICAN PORK AND HOMINY : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
PORK AND HOMINY CHILI - RECIPES AND INGREDIENTS | A DAY IN THE BITE
PORK AND HOMINY CHILI RECIPE - LOVE TO EAT BLOG
TURKEY CHILI SOUP WITH HOMINY RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
RECIPES HOMINY - THERESCIPES.INFO
CHILI PORK HOMINY - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
HOW TO COOK PORK AND HOMINY CHILI | MYRECIPES
PORK AND HOMINY CHILI RECIPE BY NANCY - COOKEATSHARE
CHICKEN AND HOMINY RECIPES : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
CHICKEN CHILI WITH HOMINY RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
PORK AND HOMINY CHILI - AMERICAN RECIPES
PORK CHILI WITH BEANS AND HOMINY - AMERICAN RECIPES
HOMINY, TOMATO, AND CHILI SOUP RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
HOMINY TACO CHILI RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
TURKEY THIGH AND HOMINY CHILI RECIPE | MYRECIPES
PORK AND HOMINY CHILI ( OR CHICKEN OR TURKEY ) RECIPE
PORK AND HOMINY CHILI RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
21 TOP-RATED CHILI RECIPES WITH BEEF, PORK, CHICKEN, OR TURKEY
HOMINY CHICKEN CHILI - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
PORK AND HOMINY CHILI RECIPE | RECIPE | FOOD, RECIPES, BEST CHILI …
PORK SAUSAGE HOMINY RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT - FOOD NEWS
TURKEY AND HOMINY CHILI RECIPE | MYRECIPES
PORK AND HOMINY CHILI RECIPE | RECIPE | FOOD, RECIPES, HOMINY
CHILI PORK HOMINY - RECIPES - PAGE 2 | COOKS.COM
CHILI PORK HOMINY - RECIPES - PAGE 3 | COOKS.COM
CHILI CHICKEN WITH HOMINY HASH - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
You'll also love