BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN
North Carolina chef Vivian Howard calls this grilled chicken her homage to Carolina-style BBQ sauce, but with a blueberry twist. To make Blue Q Sauce, she cooks fresh blueberries down with apple cider vinegar, chili flakes, sugar, and a cinnamon stick. Slathered on chicken, it produces very tasty caramelized skin.
Provided by Vivian Howard
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Sauce: In a food processor, add blueberries, vinegar, and sugar. Pulse to break up the berries into a chunky pulp. Place mixture into a saucepan; add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, covered, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Carefully transfer the sauce to a blender. Make sure the lid is entirely sealed to prevent sauce from spattering while you blend. Blend the sauce to a smooth consistency, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high. When sauce is smooth, strain it through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Transfer sauce back to the saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, uncovered, and reduce by ¼, about 5 minutes. The sauce should coat the back of a spoon, and the viscosity should be more like maple syrup than honey. Pour into a container and cool to room temperature. Makes about 2 cups. (Sauce will keep for up to 6 months refrigerated in a lidded container.)
- Prep chicken: Lay spatchcocked chicken breast side up on a wire rack fitted over a rimmed baking sheet. Season liberally on both sides with salt and pepper (about 15 turns of a pepper mill per side). Let rest at room temperature while preheating the grill, 30 minutes.
- Grill chicken: Preheat a charcoal grill to medium-high heat, about 375 F. The coals should be ashed over in some places, with red embers burning within. Move the coals to one side of the grill to create areas of both direct and indirect heat. Place the chicken skin side up on the side of the grill over the coals (direct heat). Cover and cook, 15 minutes.
- Divide the Blue Q Sauce: half should be used for basting, while the other half should be reserved for the final baste and for serving. (If the cooled sauce has thickened too much, simply reheat in a saucepan over low heat, or briefly microwave to return to its original syrupy consistency before using.) Remove the lid. Use tongs to flip the chicken over, skin side down, onto the indirect heat side of the grill. Baste the underside of the bird with Blue Q Sauce, then gently re-position back over direct heat, still skin side down. Cover and cook, 5 minutes. Repeat this process-flipping, basting, and grilling for 5 minutes at a time, covered-2-3 more times, until chicken is fully cooked. (The leg, when tugged, should become loosened from the breast. Alternatively, a thermometer placed in the thickest part of the thigh, avoiding the bone, should register 165 F.) Discard remaining basting sauce.
- Remove chicken from the grill and place on a cutting board, skin side up. Use reserved Blue Q Sauce to baste one last time and let rest, 5 minutes. Cut the chicken into 6 or 8 pieces and drizzle once more with sauce. Serve warm or at room temperature with additional sauce on the side.
MENNY'S BLUEBERRY BARBECUE SAUCE
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion, garlic, and ginger until onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Add blueberries, maple syrup, cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, lemon juice, cinnamon, cumin, chili powder, paprika, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper; stir to combine. Simmer over medium-low heat until sauce is slightly reduced and bubbling, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat; cool slightly. Pour sauce into a blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until smooth.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 65.5 calories, Carbohydrate 14.6 g, Fat 1 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 0.5 g, SaturatedFat 0.1 g, Sodium 129.5 mg, Sugar 10.5 g
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN
I never thought "blueberries" and "BBQ" went together until I tried this dish! We had this during our annual fourth of July cookout and more than just patriotic, this dish was seriously delicious! Good thing its healthy because I had more than one. -Kendra Doss, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a small saucepan over low heat, bring blueberries to a boil; cook and stir until softened, 4-5 minutes. Mash berries. Add next eight ingredients; increase heat to medium. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until thickened, 15-20 minutes. Remove about 3/4 cup sauce; reserve. Refrigerate, covered, until just before serving. Brush chicken with remaining sauce. Refrigerate chicken and remaining sauce, covered, about 1 hour., Place chicken on a greased grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium direct heat, brushing occasionally with remaining sauce, 8-10 minutes. Turn; grill, brushing with sauce, until a thermometer reads 165°, 8-10 minutes longer. Discard any remaining grilling sauce., Microwave reserved sauce, covered, on high until heated through, 30-60 seconds. Serve with grilled chicken.,
Nutrition Facts : Calories 328 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 94mg cholesterol, Sodium 1110mg sodium, Carbohydrate 34g carbohydrate (28g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 36g protein.
GRILLED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH BLACKBERRY BBQ SAUCE
Provided by Michael Symon : Food Network
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- In a small bowl, combine the coriander, paprika and salt. Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels, season on both sides with the spice mixture and place in a gallon-size zip-top bag. Refrigerate for several hours but preferably overnight.
- Prepare and preheat your lump charcoal grill to create two heat zones: high and low.
- Brush the chicken thighs with olive oil and place them skin-side down on the hot side of the grill. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Uncover and move the chicken to the low side of the grill, skin-side up. Cover and cook until the thighs reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F, 15 to 20 minutes. Pour half the Blackberry BBQ Sauce into a medium bowl and use it to baste the chicken occasionally during the final 10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the chicken from the grill. Serve with the remaining sauce on the side.
- In a large saucepan, combine the blackberries, beer, vinegars, sugar, onion, garlic, habanero, chipotle powder, coffee, coriander and cumin. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours. Carefully puree the sauce in a blender or food processor, then strain.
CHICKEN BREASTS WITH BLUEBERRY BARBECUE SAUCE
- Combine the sugar, onion, ginger, allspice, cayenne, ketchup and blueberries in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 11 to 12 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and is fairly smooth.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high.
- Add the chicken and cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet, turn the chicken over to completely coat it.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce spooned over the top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 325.9, Fat 14.2, SaturatedFat 3.5, Cholesterol 72.6, Sodium 489.2, Carbohydrate 25.6, Fiber 1.8, Sugar 21.4, Protein 24.5
BLUEBERRY BBQ SAUCE
Try this recipe from Christine Cushing when grilling chicken, cornish hens or pork tenderloin! Frozen berries will work but it will take longer to reduce.
Provided by CountryLady
Yield 1 cup
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion, garlic and ginger until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the blueberries and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the cider vinegar, honey, molasses, ketchup, paprika, salt, pepper, cinnamon, Dijon mustard, nutmeg, celery seed, cayenne pepper, cloves and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer the sauce for 15 minutes.
- Puree the mixture with an immersion blender.
- If you want a"finer" sauce, strain it back into a clean saucepan.
- Bring the sauce back to a simmer and cook a few minutes more.
- Let cool completely.
Blueberries and chicken may seem like a strange combination, but prepare to be pleasantly surprised. I add a sprinkling of minced fresh basil as the finishing touch. -Susan Marshall, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in butter over medium heat until a thermometer reads 165°, 6-8 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm., In the same skillet, combine the preserves, vinegar, blueberries and mustard, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Serve with chicken. Sprinkle with basil if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 325 calories, Fat 7g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 102mg cholesterol, Sodium 522mg sodium, Carbohydrate 27g carbohydrate (25g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 34g protein.
RED, WHITE, AND BLUEBERRY GRILLED CHICKEN
These colors don't run, but they do stain, so I recommend eating this delicious, red, white and blueberry chicken outdoors at a barbeque. Smoky, spicy meats have been paired with sweet-and-sour, fruit-based sauces since we've had cooks, so that this combo works beautifully is no big surprise. And yes, other juicy fruit like peaches, or other berries will work nicely.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Whisk oil, salt, paprika, chipotle pepper, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and garlic in a bowl to make marinade. Place chicken breasts in marinade and turn to coat evenly. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Spread sugar in a saucepan set over medium heat. Do not stir, but watch closely as sugar begins to melt after about 1 minute. As sugar melts it will gradually turn a golden color. Continue watching but not stirring. When all sugar has melted and golden color just begins to darken a bit (after 1 minute or less), remove pan from heat. Pour in vinegar and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Place pan over medium-high heat and add blueberries to the sugar-vinegar mixture. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until blueberries soften and mixture begins to thicken, 4 or 5 minutes. It should be a syrup-like consistency. If sauce seems too thin, simmer a few more minutes. If it seems too thick, add a splash of water. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Set a strainer over a bowl. Strain berries, using a spatula to push through as much juice as possible. Discard skins.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate. Drain excess marinade from chicken.
- Place chicken breasts on preheated grill. Cook until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 4 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Transfer chicken to a plate and allow to rest a few minutes.
- Serve breasts on a swirl of blueberry sauce with more sauce drizzled on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 279 calories, Carbohydrate 29.1 g, Cholesterol 67.2 mg, Fat 6.7 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 25.4 g, SaturatedFat 1.4 g, Sodium 1540 mg, Sugar 24.2 g
More about "blueberry bbq chicken food"
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN - BIG GREEN EGG
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
BLUEBERRY BARBECUED CHICKEN RECIPE - ACADEMY OF …
FRENCH CHICKEN IN BLUEBERRY BALSAMIC RECIPE - THE …
BLUEBERRY BARBECUE CHICKEN | SAVEUR
GRILLED BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN - THE CRAVEABLE KITCHEN
BLUEBERRY BARBECUE GRILLED CHICKEN - TASTY KITCHEN
BBQ BLUEBERRY WINGS - FOOD PROFESSIONALS
BLUEBERRY BARBECUE CHICKEN | SERVINGS
FAST AND DELICIOUS SKILLET BLUEBERRY BBQ SAUCE CHICKEN
BLUEBERRY BARBECUE CHICKEN (PALEO, WHOLE30) · JESSICA EATS REAL …
BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK BARBECUE CHICKEN | WHOLEFULLY
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN - PORTER'S MOUNTAIN VIEW SUPPLY
BLUEBERRY CHIPOTLE BARBECUE CHICKEN WINGS - BLUEBERRY.ORG
GRILLED CHICKEN SEASONED WITH SAVORY BLUEBERRY RUB
BLUEBERRY MAPLE BBQ CHICKEN - PALEOMG
GRILLED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH LOW FODMAP BLUEBERRY BBQ SAUCE
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN – FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN
BLUEBERRY BARBECUE GRILLED CHICKEN – HOT BOD ZONE
HOST A SPECIAL FOURTH OF JULY FEAST WITH BLUEBERRY BARBEQUE PULLED …
BLUEBERRY BARBECUE CHICKEN | CHEF ELIZABETH REESE
HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY BBQ SAUCE - SIMPLE AND SAVORY
BLUE-RIBBON: BLUEBERRY BALSAMIC BBQ CHICKEN - LIVE FIRE REPUBLIC
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN WINGS - TASTES OF LIZZY T
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN FOOD- WIKIFOODHUB
BLUEBERRY BARBECUE CHICKEN | POULTRY RECIPES, BARBECUE CHICKEN ...
BEST BLUEBERRY BBQ SAUCE RECIPE - SEEKING GOOD EATS
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN — RECIPES — QVC.COM | BBQ CHICKEN …
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN – OUTDOOR HOME
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN — RECIPES — QVC.COM
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN — WELLMADE RESTORATIVE
BLUEBERRY BBQ WINGS — BE NUTRITION
BEST BAKED BBQ CHICKEN (EASY - THE ENDLESS MEAL®
BLUEBERRY BARBECUE CHICKEN - ROOT 24 FARMS - ORGANIC BLUEBERRIES
BLUEBERRY BBQ SAUCE RECIPE (RICH & SMOKY) | KITCHN
BLUEBERRY BARBECUE CHICKEN - SOMEWHERE SOUTH
BLUEBERRY BARBECUE CHICKEN – GREENSBURY
CROCK-POT BLUEBERRY BARBECUE CHICKEN WINGS - FOR THE LOVE OF FOOD
BLUEBERRY BBQ CHICKEN IN THE INSTANT POT (PALEO + GLUTEN FREE)
GIVE YOUR GRILLED CHICKEN THIS BLUEBERRY UPGRADE TONIGHT
BLUEBERRY BALSAMIC CHICKEN RECIPE WITH ROSEMARY | DRISCOLL'S
You'll also love