- Place 1/2 cup milk, cream cheese, and garlic in a large pot over low heat. Cook and stir until blended. Mix in soup, green onions, carrots, corn with liquid, potatoes, parsley, and remaining milk. Season with black pepper and cayenne pepper. Simmer 25 minutes. Do not boil.
- Mix the shrimp, scallops, crabmeat, calamari, and clams, and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until seafood is opaque.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 313.7 calories, Carbohydrate 32 g, Cholesterol 157.8 mg, Fat 5.1 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Protein 34.6 g, SaturatedFat 1.4 g, Sodium 1237.4 mg, Sugar 6.1 g
MOM'S NOVA SCOTIA SEAFOOD CHOWDER
Being from the Easy Coast, I've tried a lot of different chowders; however, my Mom's takes the cake. She makes a huge pot of this chowder every Christmas Eve and all of it is gone by Christmas night. Although it is not very healthy, it is an awesome treat once in awhile for any of us that love seafood! I normally throw in a dash of garlic and onion powder. Enjoy!
Provided by Ashley_86
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Fill a large pot halfway with lightly salted water; bring to a boil. Add onions and carrots; cook until slightly tender, 10 minutes. Add potatoes; cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in salmon, cod, scallops, shrimp, lobster, and crab; cook over medium heat until salmon and cod are firm but chunks are still slightly translucent in the center, about 10 minutes. Drain half the water from the pot and add clams, heavy cream, and half-and-half. Place butter chunks atop the soup; season with salt and black pepper. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until salmon and cod are fully cooked and flake easily with a fork, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 525.4 calories, Carbohydrate 18.8 g, Cholesterol 201.6 mg, Fat 37.8 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 28.2 g, SaturatedFat 22.6 g, Sodium 324.8 mg, Sugar 1.8 g
BEST SEAFOOD CHOWDER
My husband is an avid fisherman. When a family get-together was planned and we had to bring something, we created this recipe using fish from our freezer. The chowder got rave reviews from the relatives! -Heather Saunders, Belchertown, Massachusetts
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 32 servings (8 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; reserve drippings. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Add potatoes and water; bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes., Add the scallops, lobster, shrimp, cod and haddock. Cook for 10 minutes or until scallops are opaque, shrimp turn pink and fish flakes easily with a fork. Add the butter, salt, parsley and curry powder. Stir in milk and evaporated milk; heat through. Garnish with bacon, additional parsley, and oyster crackers, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 193 calories, Fat 9g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 76mg cholesterol, Sodium 625mg sodium, Carbohydrate 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 17g protein.
RICH SEAFOOD CHOWDER
This creamy, delectable soup is even better the next day. It also works well with scallops or a flaky whitefish. Substitute half-and-half or heavy cream for all or part of the milk to make this soup even richer. -Anita Culver, Royersford, Pennsylvania
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings (2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. , Add stock, potato, Worcestershire, salt and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potato is tender, 10-15 minutes. , Add the shrimp, clams, crab and cream cheese; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink and and cheese is melted, 4-5 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 272 calories, Fat 15g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 164mg cholesterol, Sodium 1076mg sodium, Carbohydrate 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 24g protein.
SIMPLE SEAFOOD CHOWDER
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion and bacon. Cook for 8-10 mins until the onion is soft and the bacon is cooked. Stir in the flour, then cook for a further 2 mins.
- Pour in the fish stock and bring it up to a gentle simmer. Add the potatoes, cover, then simmer for 10-12 mins until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add the mace, cayenne pepper and some seasoning, then stir in the milk.
- Tip the fish pie mix into the pan, gently simmer for 4 mins. Add the cream and shellfish, then simmer for 1 min more. Check the seasoning. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with some crusty bread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 422 calories, Fat 19 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 21 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 9 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 41 grams protein, Sodium 2.3 milligram of sodium
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, cook the bacon until browned. Add the butter and onions, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the flour and stir until well combined. Add 2 to 3 cups broth. Then add the potatoes, thyme, pepper, and salt and bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are almost fork tender, about 10 minutes. Add the clams, haddock, shrimp, scallops, and oysters and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the half-and-half and heat through (do not bring to a boil or the chowder will curdle). When finished add parsley and serve.
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield 3 quarts
Number Of Ingredients 26
- Cut the shrimp, scallops, and monkfish into bite-sized pieces and place them in a bowl with the crabmeat.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter; add the carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, and corn and saute over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are barely cooked, stirring occasionally. Add the flour; reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add the Seafood Stock and bring to a boil. Add the seafood; reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 7 to 10 minutes, until the fish is just cooked. Add the heavy cream, if desired, and the parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
- Warm the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the shrimp shells, onions, carrots, and celery and saute for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Add 1 1/2 quarts of water, the white wine, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Strain through a sieve, pressing the solids. You should have approximately 1 quart of stock. You can make up the difference with water or wine if you need to.
This chowder of root-cellar vegetables, clams and fish is one of the easiest and best things to cook for a weekend dinner with family and friends. Use a mixture of butter and the powdered dried seaweed called dulse as the flavored fat in which you sauté the vegetables before deglazing them, and each individual flavor in the resulting stew will pop - from carrot to leek, parsnip to potato, bacon to clam to scallop to fish. The seaweed is a powerful flavor enhancer. You can omit it if you want, but really, you shouldn't.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Categories soups and stews, main course
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Put the clams in a large, heavy Dutch oven, add about 4 cups water, then set over medium-high heat. Cover, and cook until clams have opened, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. (Clams that fail to open should be discarded.) Strain clam broth through a sieve lined with cheesecloth or doubled-up paper towels, and set aside. You should have 5 or 6 cups. Remove clams from shells, and set aside as well.
- Rinse out the pot, and return it to the stove. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter, and turn heat to medium-low. Add bacon, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fat has rendered and the pork has started to brown, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove pork from fat, and set aside.
- Add the dulse and the leeks to the fat, and cook, stirring frequently, until the leeks are soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, then stir in the carrots, parsnips, potatoes and wine, and continue cooking until wine has evaporated and the vegetables have just started to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add enough clam broth to just cover them, approximately 4 to 5 cups, reserving the rest for another use. Add the thyme and the bay leaves.
- Partly cover the pot, and simmer gently until vegetables are tender, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the clams into bits about the size of the bacon dice. When the vegetables are tender, add the cream, and stir in the chopped clams and reserved bacon. Add black pepper to taste. Let come to a simmer. (Do not let chowder come to a full boil.) Remove the thyme and the bay leaves, and discard.
- If serving right away, slip the fish fingers into the chowder, place the scallops on the surface and allow them all to cook into translucence in the heat, approximately 5-7 minutes. But chowder improves mightily if it sits overnight to cure. If you have the time, don't add the fish and scallops right away, but allow the chowder to chill in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat it to a bare simmer before adding and cooking them through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve, garnished with the chopped parsley.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 495, UnsaturatedFat 12 grams, Carbohydrate 27 grams, Fat 32 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 21 grams, SaturatedFat 18 grams, Sodium 656 milligrams, Sugar 6 grams, TransFat 0 grams
More about "best seafood chowder"
SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
4.8/5 (51)Estimated Reading Time 2 minsServings 8
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Cook onion and celery, stirring often, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix in Old Bay and 1 tsp. pepper; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add sherry; cook, stirring occasionally, until alcohol has cooked off, about 1 minute. Add ½ cup clam juice; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft, about 5 minutes. Add stock and remaining 2 cups clam juice and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and simmer, uncovered, adjusting heat as needed, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add fish and shellfish and cook, stirring gently, just until mixture returns to a simmer, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lobster meat if using.
- While the potatoes are simmering, melt remaining 1 Tbsp. butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until light blond in color, about 1 minute. Whisk in half-and-half and 1 cup chowder broth (skimmed off the top) and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Cook, still whisking, until thickened and creamy.
- Stir half-and-half mixture into chowder ; return to medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring gently. Remove from heat; season with salt and more pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with oyster crackers.
10 BEST CREAMY SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPES | YUMMLY
SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE | AUSTRALIAN WOMEN'S WEEKLY …
SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
THICK AND HEARTY SEAFOOD CHOWDER | FAVORITE FAMILY …
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHOWDERS | ALLRECIPES
BEST SEAFOOD CHOWDER | FOOD TO LOVE
NOVA SCOTIA SEAFOOD CHOWDER | TASTE OF NOVA SCOTIA
NOVA SCOTIA SEAFOOD CHOWDER IN 20 MINUTES - BACON IS …
10 BEST THICK SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPES | YUMMLY
BEST MARITIME SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
SIMPLE SEAFOOD CHOWDER - NADIA LIM
BEST EVER SLOW COOKER SEAFOOD CHOWDER | CANADIAN LIVING
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SEAFOOD CHOWDER? 8 BEST SIDE DISHES
IS THIS THE BEST FISH CHOWDER IN THE WORLD? – THE IRISH TIMES
BEST SEAFOOD CHOWDER IN HALIFAX RESTAURANTS, SUMMER 2022
THE BEST CHOWDER IN HALIFAX - TRIPADVISOR
A CANADIAN LOVE AFFAIR: SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE - HIDDEN PONIES
CREAMY SEAFOOD CHOWDER - SPEND WITH PENNIES
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SEAFOOD CHOWDER? [SIDE DISHES & DESSERTS]
SEAFOOD CHOWDER 101: A BREAKDOWN OF RECIPES, TYPES, …
SEAFOOD CHOWDER • THE WICKED NOODLE
TRADITIONAL NEWFOUNDLAND SEAFOOD CHOWDER - BONITA'S KITCHEN
HOW TO MAKE PRIZE-WINNING SEAFOOD CHOWDER - FLAVOUR AND SAVOUR
SEAFOOD CHOWDER | RICARDO
THE SEAFOOD CHOWDER THAT REPRESENTS VANCOUVER ISLAND
15 SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE - SELECTED RECIPES
THE BEST IRISH SEAFOOD CHOWDER - THE FOOD-DEE
BEST SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE - RELUCTANT ENTERTAINER
OLD FASHIONED NOVA SCOTIA SEAFOOD CHOWDER - FOOD GYPSY
5 DELICIOUS SEAFOOD CHOWDERS ALONG PEI’S NORTH SHORE
HEALTHY SEAFOOD CHOWDER - KIM'S CRAVINGS
FULLY-LOADED SEAFOOD CHOWDER - COOK WHAT YOU LOVE
BEST SEAFOOD CHOWDER IN DARTMOUTH RESTAURANTS, SUMMER 2022
MICHAEL SMITH'S FAVOURITE MARITIME SEAFOOD CHOWDER
CLASSIC SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE WITH MILK | CANADIAN GOODNESS
THE 15 BEST PLACES FOR SEAFOOD CHOWDER IN VANCOUVER
THE BEST SEAFOOD CHOWDER RECIPE WITH BACON AND CORN
NOVA SCOTIA SEAFOOD CHOWDER - KELLY NEIL
THE 8 BEST CANNED CLAM CHOWDERS IN 2022
THICK AND CREAMY SEAFOOD CHOWDER | SEASONS AND SUPPERS
You'll also love