EASY AND DELICIOUS SLOW COOKER CASSOULET
I am married to a chef, but I can't cook. So I make a lot of food in my slow cooker when it's my night to cook. We love France and French cooking, and this recipe is a wonderfully simple, elegant cassoulet that even I can make and he loves. Wonderful for cold nights and dinner parties. Double the recipe for leftovers - it melds overnight very well.
Provided by smart cookie
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp and brown, turning often, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels; crumble when cool. Set bacon aside.
- Cook and stir onion in the same skillet until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, sausage, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, and black pepper; cook until chicken pieces are browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a slow cooker and stir in crumbled turkey bacon, great Northern beans, and diced tomatoes. Cover the cooker, set on Low, and cook until cassoulet is thickened and the chicken is very tender, 4 to 5 hours. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 521.9 calories, Carbohydrate 52.9 g, Cholesterol 68.4 mg, Fat 18.9 g, Fiber 12.1 g, Protein 35.5 g, SaturatedFat 5.4 g, Sodium 641.2 mg, Sugar 4.7 g
ALL-DAY SLOW-COOKER CASSOULET
This cassoulet is filled to the brim with white beans, lamb, garlic sausage, and smoked sausage (and breadcrumbs), but you can make yours with pork or ham, goat, or duck. Whatever you use, keep the proportions similar to those listed below, and you can't lose.
Provided by Andrew Schloss
Yield Serves 12
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Put the beans in a medium bowl, cover with about 3 inches of water, and soak overnight. Or put the beans in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and soak for 1 hour. Then drain.
- Meanwhile, cut the duck into 8 pieces: 2 breast halves, 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, and 2 wings. Trim off all visible fat and excess skin and set the fat and skin aside. Season the duck pieces and lamb with the salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cook the duck fat and skin in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until between 1/4 and 1/3 cup fat is in the pan, about 4 minutes. Remove the solid pieces of fat and skin and discard. Brown the duck in the hot fat on both sides, about 4 minutes per side, and set aside. Brown the lamb, about 4 minutes per side, and set aside. Brown the sausage pieces on all sides, about 3 minutes per side, and set aside.
- Add the onion and celery to the skillet and sauté until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, nutmeg, Italian seasoning, and cloves and sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the beef broth and tomatoes, return to a boil, and remove from the heat.
- To assemble the cassoulet:
- Layer the beans and meats, in alternating layers (4 of beans, 3 of meat), starting and ending with the beans. Pour the liquid over all, cover the cooker, and cook until the beans are tender, 8 to 10 hours on low.
- Preheat an oven to 350°F. Mix the breadcrumbs and parsley and scatter over the top of the cassoulet. Transfer the crock with the cassoulet to the oven and bake until the top is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
CHEF JOHN'S QUICK CASSOULET
We've taken some short cuts to make a quick version of the French classic, cassoulet. Chicken thighs replace the classic, and time-consuming, duck confit; canned beans replace dried; and bacon serves as a convenient substitute for other, more involved smoked pork options.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Add bacon to a large, cold oven-ready skillet. Place over medium heat and cook for 10-12 minutes, until almost crisp. Transfer to a bowl, reserving the grease in the pan.
- Stir in sausage slices; cook 3-4 minutes. Add chicken thigh pieces; cook and stir for 5 minutes, until browned. Remove meat to the plate with bacon. Discard all the oil, but don't wipe out the pan.
- Add chopped onion and turn the heat to medium-low; cook and stir for 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add 1 cup of chicken stock.
- Mash about 1/4 of the beans in a small bowl, stir all the beans into the pan.
- Stir in cayenne, rosemary and thyme. Add reserved meat back to the pan. Stir in remaining cup of stock or more if needed to cover. Return to simmer.
- Mix bread crumbs, Parmigiano-Reggiano and melted butter together in a small bowl.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 7 inches from the heat source.
- Sprinkle the cassoulet with half the bread crumb mixture. Place under the broiler and cook about 5 minutes, until browned.
- Remove the pan and push bread crumbs down into the cassoulet. Top with remaining bread crumb mixture. Return to oven and continue broiling 5 more minutes, until browned.
- Turn off the broiler and leave in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes. Enjoy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 906.3 calories, Carbohydrate 72.2 g, Cholesterol 141.6 mg, Fat 44.2 g, Fiber 12.5 g, Protein 54.4 g, SaturatedFat 18.8 g, Sodium 2071.5 mg, Sugar 6.5 g
Many look down their noses at the slow cooker, but it's perfect for some dishes. Stews, for one. This sausage, duck and white bean stew is rich and hearty, and you can leave the dish wholly unattended for five to seven hours as it cooks. Brown the meat before you put it in the pot or not.
Provided by Mark Bittman
Categories dinner, soups and stews, main course
Yield At least 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Combine beans, crushed garlic, onion, carrots, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaves and meats in a slow cooker, and turn heat to high. (If you like, brown sausage and duck legs in a skillet before adding.) Add stock or water to cover by 2 inches. Cover and cook until beans and meats are tender, 5 to 6 hours on high heat, 7 hours or more on low.
- When done, add salt and pepper to taste, along with minced garlic. If you like, remove cassoulet from slow cooker, and place in a deep casserole; cover with bread crumbs and roast at 400 degrees until bread crumbs brown, about 15 minutes. Garnish and serve.
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET
This recipe is a combination of the best bits of a few cassoulet recipes I've tried before. The simple combination of flavors in this dish becomes positively transcendent after a day of simmering. Serve this super-easy dish whenever true comfort food is called for!
Provided by velorutionista
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Saute sausage in large skillet over medium heat till browned. Remove with slotted spoon.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to sausage drippings and saute till onions turn translucent, about 5 minutes, adding olive oil if needed to prevent sticking. Add thyme, rosemary, and sage and saute till fragrant, a minute or two.
- Combine onion mixture, sausage, beans, tomatoes, and stock in 3.5 quart (or larger) slow cooker. Cover and cook 8 hours on LOW.
- Just before serving, combine melted butter, parmesan, and bread crumbs, stirring till well coated. Sprinkle crumb mixture over each serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 518.1, Fat 20.5, SaturatedFat 7.8, Cholesterol 38.6, Sodium 1026.1, Carbohydrate 58.6, Fiber 15.4, Sugar 9.5, Protein 27.7
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET WITH CRUMB TOPPING
Classically inspired, this dish is loaded with chicken thighs, pork and smoked sausage. Tomatoes, beans and wine round out the hearty French stew, and bread crumbs thicken it slightly. -Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place bread crumbs in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered until crumbs are lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 8-12 minutes. Set aside., Combine the remaining ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, about 7 hours. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Stir in 3/4 cup bread crumbs. Top individual servings with remaining bread crumbs. If desired, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 482 calories, Fat 22g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 129mg cholesterol, Sodium 802mg sodium, Carbohydrate 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 6g fiber), Protein 40g protein.
THOMAS KELLER'S SLOW COOKER CASSOULET
From the William Sanoma Catalog... Beloved by generations of French cooks, cassoulet is a rustic, slow-cooked dish made with white beans and a lavish assortment of meats, from duck confit or foie gras to sausages and succulent cuts of pork, lamb or poultry. Here, we feature an adaptation of the Languedoc specialty from Thomas Keller, the internationally acclaimed chef of The French Laundry, in Northern California. To simplify the dish for home cooks, Chef Keller developed his cassoulet recipe for us utilizing the All-Clad Deluxe slow cooker. Be sure to use precooked Spanish-style chorizo sausage links, not fresh Mexican-style chorizo. Spanish chorizo is available in a variety of textures; purchase a softer-style sausage, rather than a dry one, for this dish; dry sausages are best suited for slicing and eating on their own, as a tapa.
Provided by ayrolynkeady
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Season the pork generously with kosher salt and pepper; set aside.
- In the stovetop-safe insert of a slow cooker over medium-high heat, combine the canola oil and panko. Cook, stirring constantly, until the panko is toasted and golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the panko to a baking sheet and season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon to the insert and cook until crisp on both sides, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Reserve the bacon fat in the insert.
- Add half of the pork to the insert and brown on all sides, 7 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining pork.
- Add the onions and 1 teaspoons kosher salt to the insert and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and softened, about 7 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes and broth. Remove the insert from the heat and add the beans, pork, chorizo and garlic.
- Place the insert on the slow-cooker base, cover and cook on low until the pork pulls apart easily with a fork, 9 to 10 hours. Skim off the fat, and remove and discard the garlic. Fold in the panko and the 1/4 cup parsley. Adjust the seasonings with kosher salt and pepper.
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat the broiler.
- Brush the baguette slices with olive oil. Arrange the slices, oiled side up, on top of the cassoulet, overlapping them. Broil until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Let the cassoulet stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle each serving with the reserved bacon, sea salt and parsley. Serves 8 to 10.
- Adapted from a recipe by Thomas Keller, Chef/Owner, The French Laundry.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1882.1, Fat 78.6, SaturatedFat 26.3, Cholesterol 210.4, Sodium 2107.8, Carbohydrate 184.6, Fiber 26.7, Sugar 13, Protein 99.4
More about "all day slow cooker cassoulet food"
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET - GIRL GONE GOURMET
5/5 (3)Total Time 7 hrsCategory DinnerCalories 824 per serving
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. In batches, brown the chicken drumsticks, pork belly, and sausages until well browned on all sides. Once browned place them in the slow cooker.
- Add the salt pork to the slow cooker in one piece. Add the onions, carrots, garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Pour the chopped tomatoes over the top. Next add the chicken stock. If the liquid is not covering the meat, add some water.
- Carefully remove the meat from the slow cooker and place in a baking dish. Pour the liquid into a seperate large baking dish. Add the beans to the liquid, cover the dish and place in the refrigerator to chill. Cover the dish with the meat and place in the refrigerator to chill overnight.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CASSOULET: A TASTE OF THE FRENCH …
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
72 ALL-DAY CROCKPOT RECIPES FOR EASY WEEKNIGHT DINNERS
ALL-DAY CASSOULET | COOKSTR.COM
THOMAS KELLERS SLOW COOKER CASSOULET - FOOD CHANNEL
EASY SLOW COOKER CASSOULET RECIPE - AN OREGON COTTAGE
EASY CASSOULET - IMMACULATE BITES
ALL-DAY SLOW-COOKER CASSOULET - MEALPLANNERPRO.COM
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET - FLOUR ON MY FACE
CASSOULET | RICARDO
THOMAS KELLER'S SLOW-COOKER CASSOULET | WILLIAMS …
SAUSAGE CASSOULET - THROW IT IN THE SLOW COOKER! - KATYKICKER
30 LAZY DAY SLOW COOKER RECIPES - MSN.COM
ALL-DAY SLOW-COOKER CASSOULET - MEALPLANNERPRO.COM
THOMAS KELLER'S SLOW COOKER CASSOULET - CLASSIC FRENCH COMFORT …
CASSOULET RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
ALL-DAY SLOW-COOKER CASSOULET | RECIPE | CASSOULET RECIPES, LAMB ...
SLOW-COOKER CASSOULET RECIPE | EATINGWELL
SLOW COOKER PORK CASSOULET - THE MAGICAL SLOW COOKER
SLOW-COOKER CASSOULET | CASSOULET RECIPES, CASSOULET RECIPE SLOW …
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET | CAFE JOHNSONIA
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET | BABAGANOSH
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET - SUPER TASTE
ALL-DAY SLOW-COOKER CASSOULET | RECIPE | CASSOULET RECIPES, …
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET RECIPE - LEITE'S CULINARIA
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET | CANADIAN LIVING
SLOWER COOKER SAUSAGE CASSOULET - HAYLIE POMROY
HEALTHY CHICKEN CASSOULET RECIPE | COOKING LIGHT
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET - GO GO GO GOURMET
RECIPES/ALL-DAY-SLOW-COOKER-CASSOULET.JSON AT MASTER · …
18 BEST SLOW COOKER COOKBOOKS REVIEWED! | FOOD FOR NET
SLOW-COOKER VEGAN CASSOULET - FORKS OVER KNIVES
21 EASY CASSOULET RECIPE SLOW COOKER - SELECTED RECIPES
SLOW COOKER CASSOULET | CANADIAN LIVING
THOMAS KELLER'S SLOW COOKER CASSOULET RECIPE - RECIPE FLOW
5 SLOW-COOKED CASSOULETS FOR COLD WEATHER - COOKING LIGHT
You'll also love