SPICY EGGPLANT & POTATO STEW
This Spicy Eggplant & Potato Stew is a spicy Indian-style eggplant dish that is easy to make and really tasty. I often boil potatoes to keep in the fridge to use for roasting or sautéing, but I particularly love using them to make a quick curry like this one. I craved spicy foods while on chemo. I found they were the only thing that could beat my chemo palate. This tasty treat is great as a side to change up the flavors of a traditional roast chicken or a piece of grilled fish.
Provided by Cook for Your Life Staff
Number Of Ingredients 1
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds. When they start to darken and give off their distinct aroma, add the eggplant and garlic. Sprinkle with salt. Sauté until the garlic starts to color.
- Add the potatoes and peppers. Sauté until the potato and eggplant are golden, the eggplant soft, and the peppers are browned in spots, about 10 minutes. Add the turmeric and ginger, a grind or two of black pepper and cook for one minute.
- Add the tomatoes, and squeeze the ¼ lemon over the pan. Cook until the tomatoes give off their juices but still have some shape. You can add a couple tablespoons of water or stock to accelerate this. Stir in the mint. Serve immediately with Basic Roast Chicken or baked fish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1409
SMOKEY SPICY MASHED POTATOES
Classic mashed potatoes are given a smokey and spicy twist with canned chipotle chilies in adobo.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Put the potatoes in a medium pot, cover with cold water and add 2 tablespoons salt. Bring just to a simmer and cook the potatoes, uncovered, until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain.
- Peel the potatoes and return them to the pot (if desired, pass them through a ricer or food mill after peeling). Mash the potatoes with the milk and butter using a fork or potato masher. Stir in the chopped chipotles, 2 teaspoons salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Copyright 2016 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
SPICY MASHED POTATOES
- Place potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil; cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cilantro and jalapeno in a food processor. Process until finely chopped, about 30 seconds. Add sour cream and cream cheese. Blend for another 30 seconds.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Mash with a potato masher. Beat in jalapeno mixture and butter. Season with salt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 300.8 calories, Carbohydrate 49.1 g, Cholesterol 26.2 mg, Fat 9.5 g, Fiber 6.2 g, Protein 6.5 g, SaturatedFat 5.9 g, Sodium 162.7 mg, Sugar 2.3 g
MASHED POTATOES WITH EGGPLANT (AUBERGINE)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Pierce skin of eggplant in multiple places. Place on a baking sheet covered with foil and bake until the skin becomes wrinkled and the flesh becomes tender, around 45 minutes.
- Cool the eggplant then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh and mash in a large bowl with garlic and olive oil.
- Meanwhile, quarter potatoes and peel them if desired. Boil potatoes with salt until tender, around 40 minutes. Drain and mash them in a large bowl.
- Add eggplant mixture, yogurt, salt and pepper to potatoes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 245.8, Fat 5.3, SaturatedFat 1, Cholesterol 1.8, Sodium 215.7, Carbohydrate 45.7, Fiber 8.1, Sugar 4.6, Protein 6
GARLIC MASHED POTATOES WITH EGGPLANT
I don't care much for eggplant. But I found this an ideal way to consume it and it actually improves on the classic. Try this for a moist option of mashed potatoes with no butter, milk or gravy required. You can add more garlic if you like. I usually do. Also, the bacon is delicious, but the recipe works without it.
Provided by peawormsworth
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place eggplant halves, cut sides up, onto a baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Bake eggplant in the preheated oven until soft, 30 to 35 minutes. Peel eggplant when cool enough to handle; set aside.
- While eggplant is baking, place potatoes and garlic cloves into a large pot and cover with lightly-salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels and retain 1 tablespoon drippings in the skillet. When bacon is cool, crumble, and set aside. Cook and stir onion in bacon drippings until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Set onion aside.
- Place eggplant, potatoes, cooked garlic cloves, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until smooth and thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt and cracked black pepper. Serve in a bowl topped with cooked onion and crumbled bacon.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 169.8 calories, Carbohydrate 26.1 g, Cholesterol 3.3 mg, Fat 6.1 g, Fiber 5.8 g, Protein 4.5 g, SaturatedFat 1.1 g, Sodium 78.6 mg, Sugar 3.8 g
EGGPLANT AND POTATO MOUSSAKA
- Place the eggplant slices in a large bowl and cover with water. Add 1/2 cup of salt and agitate gently to combine. Let stand for 20 minutes, then drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- While the eggplant is soaking, heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil in a large skillet and, working in batches, add the potato slices and cook until lightly golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper-lined plate to drain and repeat with any remaining potato slices. Season lightly with salt.
- Place 1 cup of the flour in a bowl and dredge the eggplant slices in the flour. Shake to remove any excess flour. Add 1/4 cup of the remaining oil to the skillet and, working in batches, fry the eggplant slices until golden on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add more oil to the skillet as needed in 1/4 cup increments. Repeat until all eggplant has been cooked. Transfer to a paper-lined plate to drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet and, when melted, add the onions. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the ground meats, garlic, and oregano and cook, stirring to break up any lumps, until meat is browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the red wine and cook until evaporated. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, water and parsley and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost all liquid is evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and, when hot, whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring until smooth and thick. Season with salt, to taste, and whisk in the egg and egg yolk. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and set aside, covered, while you assemble the casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish and place the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the dish in an even layer. Top with half of the eggplant slices and half of the meat sauce. Spoon 3/4 cup of the bechamel sauce evenly over the meat sauce and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese. Top with the remaining eggplant slices, pressing down on the layers gently with your hands to compress. Top with the remaining meat sauce and then spread the remaining bechamel sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown on the top and heated throughout, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand for at least 40 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
EASY MASHED SPICY EGGPLANT AND POTATOES
Number Of Ingredients 13
- 1. Peel and coarsely chop the eggplants. Then place them in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook on high 5 to 6 minutes, or until quite soft. Let cool, then coarsely mash. 2. Heat the oil in a small nonstick wok or skillet and add the cumin seeds they should sizzle upon contact with the hot oil., Quickly add the ginger, coriander, and cumin, then mix in the potatoes, tomato, cilantro, green chili peppers, and salt. Cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes.3. Mix in the mashed eggplant, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook until the potatoes are soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the ghee (if using) and mash some of the potatoes during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the cilantro, and serve.From "1,000 Indian Recipes." Copyright 2002 by Neelam Batra. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Nutrition Facts : Nutritional Facts Serves
EGGPLANT AND POTATO CURRY
This is my version of a spicy dish we had on our last trip to Chicago. It was served with white rice. Recommend Japanese Eggplant. Would also recommend thin skinned white potatoes so that there is no peeling.
Provided by Debbwl
Yield 2-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat oil in a pan. Add spices, tomatoes, sugar and salt.
- Cook on medium heat for 3 minutes till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add potatoes and eggplant. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add a 1 cup of water and continue to cook over medium heat for about 5 to 10 minutes more till the vegetables are tender. Watch the pot as you may need to add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water to prevent scorching.
- Serve hot with white rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 364.1, Fat 8.4, SaturatedFat 1.2, Sodium 43.9, Carbohydrate 69.5, Fiber 22.1, Sugar 16.3, Protein 10.2
More about "easy mashed spicy eggplant and potatoes food"
EASY GREEK-STYLE EGGPLANT RECIPE | THE …
EASY GREEK STUFFED EGGPLANT (MELITZANES …
ROASTED EGGPLANT AND POTATOES: OUR FAVORITE …
EGYPTIAN FRIED EGGPLANT WITH TOMATO SAUCE
GREEK EGGPLANT AND POTATOES - HEATHER CHRISTO
10 SPICY EGGPLANT RECIPES THAT BRING THE HEAT
THESE ARE 15 OF OUR FAVORITE EASTER DISHES (STUFFED EGGS ARE NOT …
10 BEST MASHED EGGPLANT RECIPES | YUMMLY
PARSNIP MASHED POTATOES WITH MEDITERRANEAN EGGPLANT
USE LEFTOVER MASHED POTATOES TO MAKE EGG CLOUDS - MYRECIPES
ALOO PALAK (SPICY SPINACH AND POTATOES) RECIPE - NYT COOKING
SPICY EGGPLANT AND POTATO CHIPS RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
9 EASY AND TASTY VEGGIE SUB RECIPES BY HOME COOKS - COOKPAD
EGGPLANT POTATO PATTIES - EAT SOMETHING VEGAN
GREEK MOUSSAKA (EGGPLANT CASSEROLE) | THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
MASHED POTATO PANCAKES RECIPE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
10 TOP-RATED MAIN DISH EGGPLANT DINNERS - ALLRECIPES
32 EASTER BRUNCH, DINNER & DESSERT CROCK-POT RECIPES - EASY
EGGPLANT AND POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPE | RACHAEL RAY
30+ EASY AIR FRYER RECIPES TO TRY OUT AT HOME!
You'll also love