- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and the 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl until well blended Cut in butter or margarine and shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Toss in currants.
- Beat egg and milk with a fork in a 1-cup measure; add to flour mixture; mix gently with fork, just until blended. Dough should be consistency of pastry dough.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness with floured rolling pin on lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Cut with 3 inch floured cookie cutter
- Heat greased griddle or large heavy skillet over moderate heat until few drops of water jump when dropped on surface. Cook cakes, a few at a time, 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn with pancake turner and cook another 3 minutes, or until golden brown on second side. Remove to wire rack. Sprinkle with sugar. Let cool completely, then wrap in plastic bags to store. Can also be frozen.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 340.7 calories, Carbohydrate 52.1 g, Cholesterol 39.1 mg, Fat 13.3 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 4.7 g, SaturatedFat 5.6 g, Sodium 195.4 mg, Sugar 27.4 g
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, zest, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks sandy. Stir in the currants. Beat the eggs and 2 tablespoons of the buttermilk together. Stir into the dry ingredients to make a shaggy dough, add more buttermilk if the dough is dry. Gather dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll the dough on a floured workspace into a piece about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 2 to 3- inch rounds.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium-low heat. Brush the pan surface with butter. Cook the cookies until slightly brown and cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a rack, sprinkle with sugar and cool. Store in a cookie tin.
WELSH CRANBERRY SKILLET COOKIES
- Whisk the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, lime zest, cardamom and salt in a medium bowl. Work in the diced butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks sandy. Stir in the dried cranberries. Lightly beat the eggs and heavy cream in a small bowl, then stir into the flour mixture to make a shaggy dough. Transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap; shape into a disk. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough on a generously floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out circles with a 1 1/2- to 2-inch round cookie cutter; arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Refrigerate until ready to cook, at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Put the remaining 1 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Working in batches, brush the skillet with melted butter, then add the dough rounds. Cook until lightly browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. (Brush the skillet with more butter between batches.) Toss the warm cookies in the sugar, then transfer to racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days; the texture actually improves after a day.
Pice ar y maen, a Welsh teatime treat passed on through generations and still as popular as ever. Perfect for making with the children
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Afternoon tea, Buffet, Snack, Treat
Yield Makes 16
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Tip the flour, sugar, mixed spice, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Then, with your fingers, rub in the butter and lard until crumbly. Mix in the currants. Work the egg into the mixture until you have soft dough, adding a splash of milk if it seems a little dry - it should be the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of your little finger. Cut out rounds using a 6cm cutter, re-rolling any trimmings. Grease a flat griddle pan or heavy frying pan with lard, and place over a medium heat. Cook the Welsh cakes in batches, for about 3 mins each side, until golden brown, crisp and cooked through. Delicious served warm with butter and jam, or simply sprinkled with caster sugar. Cakes will stay fresh in a tin for 1 week.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 138 calories, Fat 6 grams fat, SaturatedFat 1 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 20 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 9 grams sugar, Fiber 9 grams fiber, Protein 2 grams protein, Sodium 0.13 milligram of sodium
When my Aunt married my Uncle, a little, round, rosy cheeked Welshman, his grandmother sent this recipe as a wedding gift. I always looked forward to their visits from PA, and these cookies would always accompany them. They've been gone a long time now, but I'll always remember them and these simple, but delicious cookies.
Provided by Val Paris
Number Of Ingredients 10
- 1. Preheat griddle to 350 degrees. Grease lightly.
- 2. Sift flour, nutmeg, soda, salt, baking powder and sugar into a large bowl.
- 3. Add shortening and mix with hands or pastry blender.
- 4. Add currants and mix through flour mixture.
- 5. Place on griddle and turn when light brown.
- 6. Add eggs and milk and mix well.
- 7. Roll a small amount of dough at a time and cut using a glass or biscuit cutter.
- 8. After removing from griddle, sprinkle with sugar.
NANA'S WELSH CURRANT COOKIES (FRYING PAN COOKIES)
- Heat frying pan to 350°F.
- Beat together 2 eggs and 6 Tbsps Milk.
- Add dry ingredients & shortening in a mixing bowl, blend well.
- Add Egg and Milk mixture to dry ingredients, stir until well mixed.
- Place plastic on bowl to cover dough & chill dough in refrigerator about 2 hours.
- On floured board, roll dough in 4 parts to 1/4" thickness.
- Cut shapes with floured glass or cookie cutter.
- Fry in electric fry pan until golden.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1538.8, Fat 74.7, SaturatedFat 19.4, Cholesterol 145.3, Sodium 1429.9, Carbohydrate 203.3, Fiber 5.5, Sugar 96.2, Protein 19.7
A cross between a cookie, scone, and pancake, these intriguing treats are cooked on a griddle, not baked (despite its other name, Welsh bakestones). Martha's version is spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and studded with dried currants and candied lemon peel.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes about 2 dozen
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon zest. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in butter until mixture is a sandy consistency. Stir in currants, candied citrus peel, egg, and milk until a soft dough forms. Gently knead to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2-inch fluted square cutter, cut out squares; transfer to prepared sheets. Reroll scraps once and cut out more squares.
- Preheat a cast-iron griddle over medium. Lightly brush with butter. Working in batches, transfer dough squares to griddle and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Adjust heat as necessary. Transfer to a serving plate; sprinkle with superfine sugar, as desired. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container at room temperature 3 to 5 days.
More about "welsh cookies food"
WELSH COOKIES - MADE TO BE A MOMMA
3.7/5 (3)Total Time 15 minsCategory DessertCalories 111 per serving
WELSH COOKIES - THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN WOMAN
5/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
TRADITIONAL WELSH CAKES RECIPE | VISIT WALES
TRADITIONAL WELSH COOKIE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING ...
WELSH COOKIES RECIPE (TRADITIONAL COOKING)
9 TRADITIONAL WELSH FOODS AND RECIPES - WELSH FOOD AND DRINK
WELSH COOKIES | RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK RECIPES, WELSH ...
ABOUT - HOME | IWCC
WELSH CAKES - CLASSIC CURRANT-STUDDED COOKIES TOPPED WITH ...
WELSH CAKES RECIPE FILM | THE RECIPE HUNTERS IN WALES
WELSH COOKIES RECIPES
RECIPE: WELSH COOKIES FOR INES - RECIPELINK.COM
THANK YOU: WELSH COOKIES FROM SCRANTON, PA. - RECIPELINK.COM
WELSH COOKIES - COOKING MADE EASY
WELSH CAKES - LOVEFOODIES
WELSH COOKIE RECIPES - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
WELSH COOKIES - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
HOW TO MAKE TRADITIONAL WELSH COOKIES - BETTER DONE …
WELSH CAKES - KING ARTHUR BAKING
PROSPECT RECIPES: WELSH COOKIES – THE PRINCETONIAN – THE ...
TOP 10 FOODS TO TRY IN WALES | BBC GOOD FOOD
WELSH COOKIES (AKA WELSH CAKES) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
WELSH COOKIES - LACTO OVO VEGETARIAN RECIPES
WELSH COOKIES - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
15 WELSH COOKIES IDEAS | WELSH RECIPES, WELSH CAKE ...
WELSH COOKIES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES AND ...
WELSH COOKIES (CAKES) – CLARKS SUMMIT PA – COOKING WHILE ...
WELSH COOKIES (AKA WELSH CAKES) • NOW COOK THIS!
TRADITIONAL WELSH CAKES RECIPE - THE DARING GOURMET
WELSH CHRISTMAS COOKIE RECIPE | IT'S A KEEPER
WELSH COOKIES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
WELSH COOKIE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
PROSPECT RECIPES: WELSH COOKIES - THE PRINCETONIAN
WELSH COOKIE RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
TRADITIONAL WELSH FOOD: CLASSIC MUST-TRY DISHES FROM WALES ...
WELSH COOKIES - SPICEWALLA
RECIPE WELSH COOKIES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
You'll also love