ARROZ CONGRI (CUBAN RICE AND BLACK BEANS)
Arroz Congri is a Cuban black beans and rice dish using canned black beans that can be served as a side dish or meatless main dish.
Provided by Gina
Categories Side Dish
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a heavy medium sized pot, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic and saute until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add rice, beans, water, cumin, bay leaf, oregano and salt and pepper. Simmer on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice absorbs most of the water and just barely skims the top of the rice.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minute (don't peek).
- Make sure you have a good seal on your cover, the steam cooks the rice. After 20 minutes, shut flame off and let it sit, covered another 5 minutes (don't open the lid).
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 cup, Calories 143 kcal, Carbohydrate 27.5 g, Protein 6.5 g, Fat 2.5 g, SaturatedFat 0.5 g, Sodium 322 mg, Fiber 5 g, Sugar 2 g
CUBAN-STYLE ARROZ CONGRí
The combination of white rice and black beans is a Cuban staple. Black beans served on top of or next to white rice is most commonly called Moros y Cristianos, a reference to the medieval battle between Islamic Moors and Christian Spaniards on the Iberian Peninsula. When rice and beans are mixed with sautéed aromatic vegetables and sometimes bits of pork, the result is called congrí. (In some Cuban households, it is also called Moros y Cristianos.) As a rule, congrí is a fluffier and drier dish than Moros y Cristianos. Yolanda Horruitiner, who has lived in Cuba for all of her 70 years, makes this simple version of congrí without pork or cumin, which is a staple in some versions. Feel free to add either to the sofrito base. This recipe uses a stovetop to cook both the rice and beans, although the dish can be assembled more quickly using a pressure cooker and rice cooker and making the sofrito in a separate sauté pan, then mixing it into the rice before it's all cooked.
Provided by Kim Severson
Categories main course
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Rinse the beans and pick them over for any small stones. Put the beans and 8 cups water in a medium-size pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer, partly cover and cook until tender, about 1 to 2 hours. (Time will vary depending on the bean.)
- Meanwhile, make the sofrito: Put the oil in a medium-size pot (large enough to hold the rice as well) over medium heat. When it's hot, add the onion, green pepper and garlic. Add a pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are limp. Stir in the oregano, dill and bay leaves and remove from heat.
- Drain the beans, reserving the broth and being careful to not break the beans. In a large measuring cup, add the vinegar and wine, 1 cup of the reserved bean broth and enough water for all the liquid to measure 2 1/4 cups.
- Put the sofrito back on medium heat, add the rice and stir to combine. Cook the rice for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the seasoned bean broth/water mixture and the salt. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 17 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and return cover to pot for 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and put rice mixture into a mixing bowl. Gently mix in the beans, being careful not to break them. Season well with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 253, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 46 grams, Fat 4 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 203 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram
This Cuban black beans and rice dish cooking together with the savory hints of pork has been the epitome of love since I was a little girl. Arroz Congri is an easy rice and beans recipe and traditional Cuban rice dish that makes a great weeknight meal for any family.
Provided by Vanessa Bell
Categories Food Culture
Number Of Ingredients 14
- This recipe starts with the frijoles. Put the beans and bay leaves in a saucepan and cover with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Add water when necessary to keep the beans covered by 1 inch, until just tender. This will take about one hour. Season with a pinch of salt to taste. Now it's time to have some fun! Fry the bacon and oil in a 6- to 8-quart pot. Cook over medium-low heat until slightly crispy. Add the onion, pepper, garlic, cumin, oregano and stir for about 10 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the beans and their liquid, stir well, and add enough water to cover the beans and rice by about 3/4 inch. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat then turn down the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover tightly and do not uncover until the water is absorbed and the rice and beans are both cooked throughout about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Once done, garnish with cilantro and drizzle with a little olive oil just before serving.
- Wash the soaked beans.
- Add them into a pressure cooker and cover generously with water.
- Lock the pressure cooker and cook the beans under pressure for 30 minutes.
- Wash the beans and soak them in water the night before or for a few hours before cooking.
- Take 2 large ladles of cooked beans and 2 large ladles of the cooking water.
- Heat the olive oil or lard in a Dutch oven over medium heat and add the diced pork and fry them until they release their fat and are golden.
- Remove the pieces of meat and, in the hot fat, add the sliced onions, garlic, cilantro, ajis cachuchas (sweet Cuban peppers), and dry seasonings.
- Stir everything and add the kidney beans. Brown together with the rest of the ingredients for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the rice and mix it with all the other ingredients until the grains of rice start to absorb the flavors.
- Then cover everything with the reserved cooking water for the beans.
- Cover and cook over low to medium heat until the rice softens and absorbs all the water. Uncover and stir with a fork to separate the grains and prevent them from settling as they cool.
- Serve the arroz congrí hot, sprinkled with fried pork when ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 411 kcal, Carbohydrate 70 g, Protein 24 g, Fat 3 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Cholesterol 36 mg, Sodium 55 mg, Fiber 8 g, Sugar 5 g, UnsaturatedFat 2 g, ServingSize 1 serving
ARROZ CON POLLO - CUBAN STYLE
- Cut chicken breasts into bite size cubes. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin; set aside.
- Heat chicken broth.
- In an large iron pot put 2 tablespoons corn oil; add chicken breasts and fry until brown.
- Don't cook the chicken completely. Take chicken out and set aside.
- To the same pot add 2 tablespoons of oil and add chopped onions, garlic and green peppers. Sauté until onions are soft about 3 minutes. Add pearl rice and sauté for about 2 minutes to seal the rice.
- Start adding your liquid 1/2 cup of broth and 1 bottle of beer.
- When rice has absorbed the liquid, repeat step--1/2 cup of chicken broth and one bottle of beer; continue until rice is soft, stirring constantly after each addition of liquid.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt.When rice is almost cooked, add your chicken breast back into pot.
- Continue to cook until rice it fully cooked. Rice should be wet not dry. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 892.5, Fat 18.1, SaturatedFat 4.3, Cholesterol 72.6, Sodium 2238.2, Carbohydrate 103.6, Fiber 5.3, Sugar 6, Protein 40.5
CUBAN-STYLE CRISTIANOS Y MOROS (CONGRI)
Another version of cristianos y moros. True to the traditional recipe I know not, but delicious I do know. I found this recipe online but I don't know where.
Provided by COOKGIRl
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Soak the beans for at least 4 hours.
- In a large stock pot add the drained beans, the onion, 4 garlic cloves, bay leaves, 1/2 bell pepper, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil and skim off foam.
- Reduce the heat, cover and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for one hour or until beans are tender. Add water to keep the beans from drying out. Remove the onion, garlic, bay leaves, and bell pepper and discard.
- SOFRITO: Brown the bacon in a frying pan over medium heat. Drain the bacon. Pour off the fat from the pan except for 1 teaspoon.
- Add olive oil and remaining sofrito ingredients, cooking over medium heat until just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir the sofrito into the beans, along with the SEASONINGS. Continue simmmering until beans are very soft, about 20 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste before serving. Serve with hot cooked white rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 437.5, Fat 4.9, SaturatedFat 1.1, Cholesterol 1.8, Sodium 30.1, Carbohydrate 78.8, Fiber 12.8, Sugar 3.4, Protein 19.7
More about "cuban style arroz congr food"
TRADITIONAL CUBAN ARROZ CONGRI WITH RICE AND BEANS
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
MAMI'S CUBAN CONGRI RECIPE! - FAT GIRL HEDONIST
CUBAN CUISINE: CONGRí (ARROZ MORO) RECIPE. (PHOTOS) ** ARROZ …
HOW TO MAKE CUBAN-STYLE ARROZ CON MAíZ - WOMAN'S DAY
ARROZ CONGRI (CUBAN RICE AND BLACK BEANS) - FITNESS AND LIVING
ARROZ CONGRI (CUBAN RICE AND BLACK BEANS) - THE HOME RECIPE
CUBAN - STYLE ARROZ CONGRI - YOUTUBE
ARROZ CONGRI O MORO / CONGRI OR MORO RICE CUBAN FOOD - YOUTUBE
CUBAN RICE AND BEANS RECIPE (ARROZ CON FRIJOLES NEGRO)
CONGRI RICE: HOW TO MAKE VEGAN ARROZ CONGRI - UTOPIA
ARROZ CONGRí – CUBAN RICE WITH BLACK BEANS - WORDPRESS.COM
CONGRI (CUBAN RICE AND BEANS) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
ARROZ CONGRI (CUBAN RICE AND BLACK BEANS) RECIPE
CONGRI (BLACK BEANS AND RICE) - CUBAN RECIPES
QUIMBOMBO WITH PORK AND ARROZ CONGRI IN CUBA - MYWEKU TASTES
CUBAN FOOD: 26 BEST DISHES YOU NEED TO TRY (2022) - WEGO PLANET
24 BEST CUBAN RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
CUBAN-STYLE ARROZ CONGRí – SOUTHTIER
ARROZ CUBANO: EASY CUBAN RICE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
CUBAN CUISINE: ARROZ CONGRI (ARROZ MORO) RECIPE. ** COCINA …
ARROZ CON LECHE RECIPE: DELICIOUS CUBAN DESSERTS
CUBAN ARROZ CONGRI RECIPE (BEANS AND RICE) | MAHATMA® RICE
CUBAN FOOD: 8 MUST-TRY TRADITIONAL DISHES OF CUBA
CUBAN FOODS: 28 TASTY DISHES, DESSERTS, DRINKS TO TRY ON YOUR …
ARROZ A LA CUBANA (CUBAN-STYLE RICE) - KAWALING PINOY
CONGRI (CUBAN BLACK BEANS AND RICE) - COOKED BY JULIE
ARROZ CONGRI ~ WHITE RICE AND BEANS, IN 5 MINUTES - HISPANIC …
WHEN I THINK OF ESSENTIAL CUBAN FOOD, I THINK OF CONGRí
CUBAN RICE AND BLACK BEANS (MOROS/ARROZ CONGRI) - A SASSY SPOON
CUBAN ARROZ CONGRI | RECIPE | CUBAN RECIPES, CUBAN RICE, BEAN …
ARROZ CONGRI CUBAN RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES …
ARROZ CONGRí (CUBAN RICE & BLACK BEANS) - THE SOFRITO PROJECT
CUBAN BLACK BEANS AND RICE: ARROZ CONGRI RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
TOP 24 TRADITIONAL CUBAN RECIPES (BEST CUBAN DISHES)
MOROS Y CRISTIANOS (CONGRí) - TRADITIONAL CUBAN RECIPE
ARROZ CONGRI (CUBAN RICE AND BLACK BEANS) RECIPE - EAT SMARTER
ARROZ CONGRI (CUBAN RICE AND BLACK BEANS) | RECIPE | CUBAN RICE, …
You'll also love